ARE YOU READY TO APPLY FOR A TRADEMARK?
If you are ready to apply for and register a trademark using our web-based process, please fill out this simple Trademark Registration Form.
Do You Want To Learn More About The VeriTrademark Trademark Registration Process?
If you want to learn more about our process, your purchase options, the concept of international classes and related issues, please read below.
Why Register Your Mark?
Federal trademark registration offers important benefits as compared to unregistered marks, including:
- Registration offers additional rights
- Registration acts as a deterrent to trademark disputes
- Registration offers better remedies in an actual dispute
- A registered trademark has a lot more value on your balance sheet
For these reasons, you should consider registering anything related to your business that identifies and distinguishes your goods or services from those of the competition.
The VeriTrademark® Process
Every law practice had a different process for trademark registration. Many lawyers will charge you simply for their paralegals to fill out forms. Some law firms (and… ahem… services masquerading as law firms) use a rigid and archaic process that isn’t very sensitive to the fact that the information landscape in business has changed rapidly in recent years with the proliferation of new technology and the internet.
VeriTrademark® lawyers favor a value-centric approach. We strongly encourage you to allow us to clear a trademark (to “clear” a mark is to opine that it is worthy of registration in light of the nature of the mark and the nature of similar marks already in the marketplace for similar goods or services, regardless of registration status). The VeriTrademark® process offers insight into the following questions:
- Are there any existing registered marks that trump your mark based on the “likelihood of confusion” legal standard?
- Are there any formerly registered marks or existing unregistered marks likely to pose a problem for your mark?
- Are there any statutory bars to registering your mark?
- Assuming the mark is capable of registration, how effective will it be at deterring future infringers?
- Is the mark http://premier-pharmacy.com/ dilutive or any existing registered marks?
Cost To Clear and Register a Mark
Federal trademark registration is a 9 to 18 month process with a number of milestones along the way. Preparing a federal trademark application is deceptively complex, as each application question seems easy to answer, but in reality presents a minefield of potential problems – each with significant legal and economic consequences. VeriTrademark® provides clearance and registration services on a flat fee basis.
VeriTrademark will perform a cursory search of the federal trademark register (to avoid obvious conflicts) and prepare a federal trademark application in one class for as low as $995 (this includes the filing fee, which is most typically $325 as of this writing). Each additional class is essentially a new trademark application with new filing fees, and has additional costs.
For an additional flat fee, the VeriTrademark® search process offers the following benefits:
- A search based on the VeriTrademark® proprietary search process
- A trademark opinion letter (typically 5+ pages of analysis)
- Up to thirty minutes of discussion to review and illuminate the various issues raised by the search (and detailed in the letter)
Given that almost every potential trademark has legal issues that are difficult for the untrained mind to spot, we highly recommend that you purchase our analysis prior to filing.
What Are International Classes?
The US trademark office (“USPTO”) uses the international classification system of goods and services as a guide to register trademark. This system of 45 classes (34 classes of goods, 11 classes of services). If you are using a trademark for goods and services that fall into more than one class, these are essentially separate trademarks with separate filing fees. When filling out our VeriTrademark Trademark Information Form, do your best to describe the goods and services, and we will help you to determine whether multiple classes are necessary (if you know that two classes are necessary, you may simply check the box on our form).